The Foundation Airsoft Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can helicopters be used in field of play ?

5 posters

Go down

can helicopters be used in field of play ? Empty can helicopters be used in field of play ?

Post by JH 20th June 2011, 10:03 pm

can helicopters be used at the field and if so will they be shot at because i dont want to get a 100 and something dollar plane and it be shot out the air by bb's
JH
JH
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

can helicopters be used in field of play ? Empty Re: can helicopters be used in field of play ?

Post by Howie 20th June 2011, 10:06 pm

chances are it will be shot at repeatly Very Happy Twisted Evil
Howie
Howie
Your the Man
Your the Man

Back to top Go down

can helicopters be used in field of play ? Empty Re: can helicopters be used in field of play ?

Post by JH 20th June 2011, 10:09 pm

yeah so maybe i will just save up and get a rc car and put sheets of metal on it that would work huh?
JH
JH
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20th June 2011, 11:12 pm

Prop/rotor wash would seriously hamper both accuracy and effectiveness of such a light round as 6mm plastic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunchbox 21st June 2011, 4:40 am

If you're looking to do a UAV/recon project, it'd be difficult but possible. I don't think it would be too much to ask to remind people NOT to shoot at it, but bear in mind that you'll still have quite a time making it effective thanks to the dense brush that covers most of the field. From an aerial perspective it'd be very difficult to track movement, even with some of the highest quality cameras. Sure, you could report movement on the main trails, but once they get under the trees you'll find it's a guessing game.
Additionally, your flight times are relatively short, with ~15mins total flight time on an un-modified fixed-wing, and ~35mins on one that's been purpose-built for the task. Granted, these numbers can be improved if needed, but the higher wing loading will make it a difficult model to fly for a novice pilot. I'm ruling out helicopters here, you've got to go pretty large (and expensive) to get one to match your payload/duration requirements.
Furthermore, for $100 you won't find anything worthwhile to fit the bill. Your camera/video TX/video RX will run you about $200 for the ranges you're after, then the airframe and attendant electronics will end up being another $200-$300 depending on your preferences.

A better option for our field is several thousand dollars more expensive, that being to have a full-scale ultralight work with an observer. You still have the same visibility issues, but at least endurance is not a problem, and radio equipment is MUCH cheaper than a good wireless camera and TX/RX set for the video feed.

For RC cars, that's not really my area of expertise, but if I knew one was on the field, I'd keep a roll of tape handy to block out that camera when it passes by....

Lunchbox
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Medic21 30th June 2011, 11:24 pm

Found this today for you drone lovers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Medic21
Medic21
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by MackPerformance 2nd July 2011, 11:25 pm

We started an RC drone project some time ago but it has hit a pause.... No one that can pilot it with out crashing. I've been thinking of selling it to someone interested in the project. We never actually crashed the plane, its all in sim land. I got the computer RC simulator and I most definatly am not an RC pilot.

I love that AR Drond but the flight time is a killer.
MackPerformance
MackPerformance
Springer
Springer

http://www.panhandleairsoft.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunchbox 6th July 2011, 3:48 am

care to elaborate on your project?

Lunchbox
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down