The Foundation Airsoft Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Army of two

2 posters

Go down

Army of two Empty Army of two

Post by ElTater 6th March 2011, 2:34 am

If youve played the game you know how insane those masks are, I was thinking about making one on my own and see how it turns out, was looking at buying some cheap iron man mask then using modeling clay to get the shape I desire, Once I get it to the shape I want I would make the negative mold with Fiberglass, then make the actual mask.I may just take an old welding mask harness and attach it but I can see that getting uncomfortable, but I'll cross that bridge when it nears. Ive seen masks online but Im one of those guys that looks at something and goes "Hell I can make that myself for barely anything" now I would just have to get over my 2nd grade arts and crafts style painting

If you have any pointers let me know
here are some pictures of ones ive found online

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ElTater
ElTater
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Army of two Empty Re: Army of two

Post by Guest 6th March 2011, 7:21 am

Cool idea man, let us know how they turn out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th March 2011, 8:34 am

Take your time. Check Youtube. Use mold release. Ballistics test on a prototype prior to game use. Paint can always be painted over.

Back to top Go down

Post by plank 6th March 2011, 8:47 am

I found this last night.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
They are using perforated sheet instead of expanded for the openings. I will look around my shop for some drops if you are interested in going that route.
Looks like a fun project.
Airsoft is like Inception. Its a hobby inside of a hobby inside of a hobby with an idea.
plank
plank
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by ElTater 6th March 2011, 12:25 pm

thanks for the info guys, that article gave some good ideas, I like that removable foam padding and the 5 point harness, ill try about six layers of fiber glass and test it, if it comes out nice, ill show it to my dad, he just built himself a black-smith shop and see if he'd be interested in making the real deal. Ill try to take pictures of a step by step process
ElTater
ElTater
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by ElTater 8th March 2011, 6:22 pm

Having a little trouble with the clay and getting it to stick to the mask, going to be on the lookout for a Styrofoam head used for wigs and mold the clay on that, right now I have an iron man mask with an arched eye brow
ElTater
ElTater
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th March 2011, 7:10 pm

On the mask you probably need to scuff the surface to get the clay to adhere better.

Back to top Go down

Post by plank 8th March 2011, 10:32 pm

you could goto hobby lobby or michael's and get some plaster of paris. seal the opening of you plastic mask with tape. lay mask face down with supporting underneath so that mask will not flip or tilt when you fill it with wet plaster. then you have a firm substrate to model your clay upon. once you have your clay model the way you want it; you have to decide if you want to make a mold of your clay original or try to cast off the original. if you are using fiberglass, you should vacuum form it. BTW I found some perforated sheet metal you can use if you want. my best friend has a metal foundry in P'cola so if you wanted cast in metal (i.e. aluminum or bronze), it can happen.
if I had more free time, I would love to fab a couple masks.
plank
plank
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th March 2011, 10:48 pm

I've done casting and have made a few masks in my time. Let me know if you want any direct help. Have a few books on casting that I could loan you too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down