The Foundation Airsoft Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rule clarification: PSG-1

2 posters

Go down

Rule clarification:   PSG-1 Empty Rule clarification: PSG-1

Post by baribari 20th April 2011, 9:16 pm

I'm wondering if someone can tell me if a TM PSG-1 would count as a sniper rifle or a DMR as far as velocity limits go. Just curious since I can get a new one here for $450 (would be less if it wasn't for the strong yen).

baribari
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Rule clarification:   PSG-1 Empty Re: Rule clarification: PSG-1

Post by Guest 20th April 2011, 9:51 pm

What is the actual output velocity? If it really is 285fps, then it is probably a DMR. But I am not the final arbiter of these things.

Back to top Go down

Post by baribari 20th April 2011, 10:01 pm

Well I figured I would only get one if I could upgrade it to 500+ since carrying a five foot-long 10-pound airsoft gun would suck if it didn't have the maximum possible range, with .40s for maximum precision. I wouldn't use it here in Japan since the power limit is actually one joule... (320 or so).

I was just wondering, since I thought the old rule was anything that is permanently semi-auto only could go up to 550. I could be wrong. But it seems like the current rule is bolt-action only, so I guess it would have to be under 500. But since the wording of the rule seems to be based more on whether or no it's a replica of a true sniper rifle versus a DMR, as opposed to simply a matter of performance and safety (unfairness of having a semi-auto that fires faster than 500), that maybe the PSG-1 might be an exception to the rule (as might be an M82 replica or a Dragunov replica?). Perhaps it would be fair as long as the user uses low-capacity magazines (such as the PSG-1 15-rounders, which have extended followers to let you fire every shot).

But either way, I was just curious. I probably won't buy it either way since getting it home and modding it that heavily would cost a fortune...hehe

(then again, I've wanted one for a loooong time...)

baribari
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunchbox 20th April 2011, 10:44 pm

Strictly speaking, it's a counter-sniper rifle. Even the name, PSG (PräzisionsSchützenGewehr) means precision marksman rifle or more directly, DMR.

Truth be told, it was never meant to be accurate enough to be a sniper rifle in the proper meaning of the word. Here's a snipper from Wiki:

"The PSG1 is mechanically based on the G3 rifle and features a low-noise bolt closing device (similar to the forward assist on many M16 rifles). Its expected shot-to-shot variation is expected to be better than 1 minute of arc (MOA) with match ammunition. Although this level of accuracy is unremarkable in modern semi-automatic rifles, it is none the less claimed that the PSG1 is "one of the most accurate semi-automatic sniper rifles in the world."[1]"

In airsoft, the semi-auto feature pretty solidly places it as a DMR, where the bolt-actions (featuring a MUCH slower fire rate) occupy the 500-550fps bracket.

In any case, my own BAR-10 shoots around 485-490/.2g and has more than enough energy and range to deliver BBs well past any field-legal AEG's maximum range.

Lunchbox
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by baribari 20th April 2011, 11:09 pm

Ok, thanks for the info. I only have experience with a bolt action (450 or so) using .30s and even those didn't fly straight enough to hit a partially-exposed target at long ranges. But that was a stock barrel and hop-up. Maybe a tightbore and better ammo could fix that? I figured 550 with .40s would fly straight as an arrow.

I wouldn't call sub-MOA performance unremarkable, though. Because one MOA is a 10-inch group at 1000 yards. 1 MOA is actually the standard the Army is requiring for it's bolt action sniper rifles (although 0.5 is ideal). A standard assault rifle is lucky to have 3-4 MOA.

I thought DMRs were generally precision rifles in assault rifle calibers (and occasionally bigger ones) designed to be used by regular infantry (not trained snipers), at ranges of less than 800 yards.

But I guess you could call the PSG-1 a DMR since it only has as 6X scope without mil-dots and long-range turrets.

baribari
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down